Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Forum > General stuff

Picking things back up

(1/43) > >>

webby2:
It has been about a year since I had to stop playing with my stuff and I am finally getting back to playing with things.

What I was trying to do is simple,, I have been trying to pass an input into a flywheel that is mounted on the end of an arm that is free to move.  This input is from a source that is mounted on the very arm that the flywheel is mounted to and the goal is for me to spin up the flywheel without imparting a rotation into the arm as well.

Some of my prior printed test-bed parts made the move but not all of them,, some tests I need to redo since it has been so long since I did them,, and all that kind of stuff that happens when time passes.

I am not in any kind of hurry so I will take my time and post things when I feel like it :)

webby2:
with what I have, as far as parts go and a few that I printed out I have started running a few basic tests just to bring myself back up to speed with where I was.

I purposely built this setup a little loose, that is it was supposed deflect a little bit to provide for a visual indicator of where the forces are heading and stuff,, well it does not flex so much,, so much for that idea :)

webby2:
Fun stuff so far,, but nothing that I can say is conclusive.

Using spring force gauges for things that are not constant does not make for very good measurements, they are more of an indicator without giving exact numbers.

The indications then are that I can indeed accelerate a flywheel mass without the associated forces imparted into the arm that is holding it , what I mean by indicates,, well the force meters appear to show the same change in forces and in the directions I thought that they should,, but appearing to show and what they actually are are two different things.

I am building another test-bed,, this one is smaller :)  I find that funny since almost everyone wants to go bigger because bigger will show it better!!!  I am also trying to make it so I can use the same input direction and spin the flywheel in either direction,, a choice by design then can be made as to which way the flywheel spins.

webby2:
Not sure which one to post this to,,

I have my printer printing some small gears,, I never was able to go below a 0.75 module before, but with this printer I am down at 0.5M,, it is kind of nice.

webby2:
I had the basic mini system all put together and tried using the mini motor to run it,, unfortunately the mini motor is not strong enough to overcome the losses due to my printed gears,, I will try and find some others that will work,, the motors may have to grow a little bit but I am still going to try and keep it pretty small.

I could get it to spin up if I used 2 mini motors tagged in-line and wired in parallel but that is not going to work for me as a solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page