Total Topics: 50
Most Online Today: 26
Most Online Ever: 309
(March 14, 2020, 03:55:59 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Author Topic: Something different  (Read 17551 times)

webby2

• View Profile
Something different
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:14:22 pm »
this is interesting.

This is a single unit that I simplified a more complex system down to.  I was looking to make sure I understood where some spikes were coming from and where and when the energy transfers were happening.  Then I made a change to some of the settings and this is what I got.

The question is:  Where is all the energy going?

webby2

• View Profile
Re: Something different
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 12:25:46 am »
just messing around a little more with this,,

I tried to get the cost spike to be twice the output spike.

If you print off the pic and then cut the red line out and then the zero line you would have two shapes, one for the cost side and one for the output side,, the bigger one is more total energy :)  You can do the same for the torque graph.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:41:17 pm »
In the words of Monty Python,, and now for something completely different.

I made a few adjustments and changes and then reversed the direction of rotation of the motor.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:39:51 pm »
motor turned off

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:52:08 am »
I changed up the input source and made a few small changes and this is what that looks like on the graph, then I slowed the sim down to take a close look at only one cycle.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:48:56 pm »
I had a laugh,,

What this exact system needs to go into production is a rotary controller that can be programmed for a specific pattern of motion, well that and scaled appropriately with an increase in RPM.

I chuckled over the rotary controller,, like I don't use one or five in my printer,,, or on assembly line robotic arms,,,,

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 11:42:28 pm »
I don't have this one setup nicely and so it is showing a few issues but I could not resist making it fit within a box that is 0.6m X 0.6m X 0.5m :)

It is spinning at 7000RPM and I have the unit buzzing like a vibrator,, in the sim it is all steel.

So if you imagine 6 units per rotor on a shaft sitting between a drive motor and a generator this might supply an output of around 100kW,, add in the size of the motor and generator and that is a fairly decent power per cubic meter.  Need more out?? add more rotors :)

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:27 am »
I have been playing with this and looking at the relationships of events, and well this is just one version of things I came up with.
This is spinning at -4200 degrees per second and now some parts would not fit within the box,,
Imagine if I had 2 units on the one rotor.

If I change things a little I start to get large spikes and errors from the sim, but when I get very close to these settings for this setup it stabilizes and gives no errors or spikes, spikes either way on those spikes by the way.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 12:05:18 am »
I had a small concern over one interaction that was happening,, so I changed the sim ever so slightly to get rid of that concern,,,, that actually took a lot more effort than I thought it would of.

Here is the result of that.

What is not so easy to spot is that little notch in the total power curve, that notch coincides with the turn off of the damper.
This version is providing about 37167.164W out per cycle, that is if I did the spreadsheet correctly.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:51:51 am »
This is a new design and running with 2 units, the control of the timing I just sort of started there motions and let it go at that so the pattern is not so nice and clean.

I have started to build this design.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 07:52:48 am »
I put in a rudimentary timing control setup.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 10:40:58 am »
This is a single unit running and setup to be a scaled up version of one of the two ways I am thinking of running it.
Meaning I can build it this way, or if it becomes easier for me I can build it another way that is harder to sim.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:19 am »
This is the first go round to have the sim work the other way, this is most likely the method I will build to.

It is not real "clean" yet but I think I can get it there.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 11:15:04 am »
Got a lot of things happening in life, so I have not spent much time and effort with this,,

I did get this, which was actually an accident.  The program I am using for the simulation *I think* does not deal correctly with collisions the way I have them, so I have stopped that collision and in the process of doing that the sim showed a loss, made a few changes and ended up with this.

Edit: nevermind I did not notice that by stopping the one collision I was focusing on another set of parts were colliding instead.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:20:10 pm by webby2 »

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 12:44:09 pm »
I think a while ago on a site about Bessler I read,,
Force makes force.
Motion makes motion.
I have a slightly changed appreciation for that now.