Total Topics: 50
Most Online Today: 26
Most Online Ever: 309
(March 14, 2020, 03:55:59 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24

Author Topic: Electrostatic motor + Generator  (Read 3844 times)

webby2

• View Profile
Electrostatic motor + Generator
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:31:38 am »

While playing with my testbeds I had a thought

Why not combine an electrostatic motor with a generator?

An electrostatic motor is a variable capacitor,, so if you made it very large and then combined that with a high voltage induction coil\PM generator,,

So the motor plates are connected to the coil so that when the PM is far away the plates have very little overlap, low capacitance, then as the PM moves towards the coil core the plates also move to a higher overlap, higher capacitance, then when the plates are at full overlap and the PM is over the core you dump the charge out of the plates.

The low capacitance will limit the flow of charge thus reduce the amp-turns from the coil, the plates will maintain a voltage between them and the coil will fill in the charge needed as they move to a higher overlap or higher capacitance, also the plates will attract,, and so as they charge up they will offset some of the counter force from induction presented by the coil to the PM.

webby2

• View Profile
Re: Electrostatic motor + Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:39:48 am »
I was thinking about this because to me a capacitor is a variable resistor to the induction process of a coil, or the flow of charge.

When the cap has no charge and the coil is induced by a changing magnetic flux there is a maximum flow of current,, aka amps,, but as the cap charges up there is a growing resistance to current flow created by the growing voltage on the cap,, and then when the cap is at the full voltage potential of the induced charge in the coil no more current can flow.

So I was thinking that if a variable cap were used then you could maintain a higher voltage on the cap reducing the current flow rate,, aka reduce the amps and therefore the amp-turns of the coil and it is this amp-turns that builds the counter force.

While that is happening the capacitor plates being charged bodies of opposite polarities attract to each other and if allowed to move they will with force.

A variable cap as such is an electrostatic motor,, the higher the voltage on the same plates the more force of attraction you have.