Total Topics: 50
Most Online Today: 35
Most Online Ever: 309
(March 14, 2020, 03:55:59 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Author Topic: Picking things back up  (Read 32220 times)

webby2

• View Profile
Re: Picking things back up
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2023, 02:53:45 am »
I think I have identified one of the things Mr. Hand is bringing to the party.

Take a pulley and tie a string to it, wrap that string around the pulley a few times CCW, pull on the string.  The first thing you should imagine is that the pulley will rotate CCW, well of the pulley does not rotate then the only way the string will unwind is if the relative tangential point rotates CW,, this is what I think Mr. Hand is doing that is adding an influence to the test-bed.

The pull point creates a relative point in space away from the pulley as a tangent and the center of the pulley and that creates an angle that could be used to determine the amount of rotation force seen, or you could use the leverage ratio to find the same thing.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2023, 03:19:20 am »
A simple view I keep in mind is a 4 quadrant conversion thing.

The quadrants are for distance and force, so in the top left quadrant you have a +,+ in the top right you have +,- in the bottom right you have -,- and the bottom left you have -,+.

We work in the top right and bottom left, so an increase in distance comes with a decrease in force and a decrease in distance comes with an increase in force.  These 2 quadrants work together to give us an equal and opposite interaction.

The work transfer function uses the other 2 quadrants, so on the one side you have an increase and an increase and the other a decrease and decrease.  These 2 quadrants work together to give us an equal and opposite interaction and is an internal function, or a closed system that we do not to play with.

My one part allows me to at least "see" this internal function.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2023, 03:39:55 am »
I think I have got something figured out that is very interesting.

I think I can give up the distance for increased force without an increased cost to me.

If I use a setup similar to my worm-drive system.

My worm-drive system allows me to use a larger worm gear than the driven gear as well as reduce the frictional contact losses and make it a bi-directional system, that is each gear can drive the other gear.

Some may argue that my usage this way is not at all the same as my worm-drive,, but I think of it as similar.

I will print a part to test this thought and if it works then I will have a limited rotation that will then be reversed, so an oscillation.  If that works then it could be made to be fully rotational.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2023, 03:46:32 am »
Another interesting thing that this system appears to be doing.

I have 2 gears that are geared together and they utilize a continuously rotating force vector for the exchange.

If I use them with the input to output the same the result is a 1:1 turn, torque and velocity BUT if I use them another way, same setup gears are locked together so all things appear the same except that the force, rotation and velocity are varying.  One gear almost comes to a complete stop while the other gear is almost free to rotate, then that gear will accelerate the other gear then decelerate that gear and it will almost come to a complete stop,, rinse and repeat.

There are 2 points in the interaction where I can choose which way it is going to operate and the change I think I see is in the internal direction of force transfer, that is whether it is a push or a pull transfer while maintaining the same input to output direction.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2023, 04:12:12 am »
actually there are 4 spots where I can choose.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2023, 03:37:47 am »
This is going to be interesting.

I need to combine what I am doing with another thing I made, my worm drive.

They both do something in the mechanical exchange but in a sense they are opposite each other in the conversion process.  They do not need to be 90 degrees to each other per system really, it is in how they convert motion and forces.  They both work out to be  100% ideally efficient and close enough in the real world, so what one sees as a transfer function the other sees as a non-changing point of observation so it can make its own transfer function.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2023, 07:27:21 am »
playing with a bunch of settings and stuff I had a thought that maybe what I was doing was not what I should be looking at, where and how the force should be applied.
I printed off a crude test part to place the input force where I think it should be now, instead of how and where I was trying to apply it.

My input force is so much that it is flexing all my parts, that coming from almost no input force from me due to leverage.
I can not stop the motions well enough to take any kind of measurement, I need to make a couple very rigid parts.  I need to stop or severely limit the amount of flexing.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2023, 03:00:07 am »
I think I have a crude conceptual understanding of what is happening.

The system I have is basically converting a reciprocating motion into a rotary motion, however the two main parts each think they are rotating.  This sets up a continuously rotating force vector between both parts and this rotation is the conversion of force and distance, so as the force goes up the distance goes down and vice-versa.  Each system is seeing their own conversion and the resultant is the throughput, which is in my case a 1:1 but can be any ratio desired.

All of this sets up, or creates, a third virtual conversion reference frame that mixes the two others together.  This is a work transfer function and it is this part that I am now interacting with.

One of the things that is interesting with what I am playing with is my input force needs to be in the same direction whether the point of observation is moving up or down, using up and down as the direction of reference then my force is always down or always up even though the motion externally is changing between up and down.  Doing it this way the assist is itself rotating, so I get a 90 degree rotation where it is adding to the throughput and then I get a 90 degree rotation where it goes from some assist to zero assist and then back to some assist and this happens as the relative up or down is changing direction.  This means in simple terms that I would not want to have the assist in play during that part of rotation, I could but it would just be easier to turn it off through that portion and if I were using gravity it would almost turn itself off naturally.

The other thing that is interesting is that with all of the constraints built in I would not notice much except for a shift in the phase of the two main interactions, they could go a little out of sync with each other until the physical constraint is reached of the designed system.  The assist is actually the force required to keep the systems in sync and held against one side of the physical constraint.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2023, 12:56:50 pm »
still working through these funny almost virtual relationships,,

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2023, 12:37:50 pm »
This is a visualization of the path a point on a flywheel takes when the axis of rotation is rotated 90 degrees at a 1 to 1 ratio.

The one on the right is a single path, the one on the left is multiple simultaneous paths

This is the simplest visualization for the force vector rotation as all this is happening.  You could then imagine that the if flywheel is rotating many times faster than the axis is being rotated that would "smear" the path taken in space fairly quickly so as not to be overly discernible.

If the angle of change is not at 90 then the path is shortened and the rotating force vectors are also changed.

What is interesting, and what I am trying to play with, is that for an angle that is not 90 you can have 2 different paths with the same total change covering the same range of change, so opposition may take a different path than causality with a different vector rotation value.

I seem to be having issues with uploading attachments right now.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2023, 06:45:50 pm »
here it is

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2023, 06:51:02 pm »
here is one at 30

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2023, 06:44:49 pm »
This is an alternate visualization for the exact same condition.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2023, 03:08:00 am »
that last one was actually for a 2:1, I was looking at the smear.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2023, 02:55:35 am »
I am going to share an extremely simplified observation.

If I evaluate a simple lever system and supply the input side with a force of 1N at a distance of 2m from the pivot and then I also supply a force of 1N at a distance of 1m from the pivot in the same direction as the first force I am sure that everyone will quickly see that the lever reacts with a value of 3Nm of torque.