Total Topics: 50
Most Online Today: 31
Most Online Ever: 309
(March 14, 2020, 03:55:59 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Author Topic: Picking things back up  (Read 32198 times)

webby2

• View Profile
Re: Picking things back up
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2022, 02:16:31 am »
I made a very crude part to test my thoughts and it work well enough so that now I will spend the time to plot out the profile.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2022, 02:32:44 am »
It took me like 4 15 hour prints to get a crude shape that was close enough to let me play with the interactions I think are within this test-bed.

I plotted out what I thought should be the profile but that did not actually work so well, then I winged it and that was closer,, then I refined it a little more, again I am not making this perfect, I can't until I actually know what profile I need to follow.

As I continue on with this little adventure and put on some of the other parts, crude parts but able to show me the interactions, things keep looking positive :)

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2022, 02:52:06 am »
What I think I have done is to break the internal work transfer path.

If you have a 5:1 lever then on one side you have 1 unit of force traveling 5 units of distance, then on the other side you have 5 units of force traveling 1 unit of distance.

If you were to view the transfer of work then from the internal structure you would see both sides at the same time, the internal path of transfer sees the sum total of work transferred so you have (5*1)+(1*5) for total work internally.

Breaking this path then might allow me to add my own values internally, raising the system wide potential and then externalizing the resultant as a constant value needed to "balance" the internal change.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2022, 03:52:34 am »
If then I want to put in 1 unit of force for 5 units of travel BUT I only want to take out 1 unit of force for 1 unit of travel then internally I would need to consume 4 units of force from one side and 4 units of travel from the other, constantly.

Externally I would need to consume 1 unit of force for 4 units of travel.

The unobtainium then is in figuring out how to break the internal path of work transfer.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2022, 04:04:26 am »
Kind of interesting.

I changed the design of one part due to it not lining up with another part in the program, I printed this part and put it in the test-bed and it did not fit, the "adjustment" I made so that it looked like it fit in the program ended up not being needed, the part got real sloppy.

I took a leap of whatever and decided that the design may not "look" like it fits in the drawing program but that I will run with what I think the part should be.  This is a long print time and some filament to use up but that is not that much of a risk.

In the program I placed the first part on top of the "adjusted" part and it looked like what I have in the test-bed, the first part filled in the gaps that the adjusted part created , the interaction profile in the program lined the two parts up with the adjustment, where-as in the program the parts overlapped each other with the first part.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2022, 06:42:09 pm »
A test part finished and I was going to wait until tomorrow but I couldn't resist and put it in.

This part, when I view it in Freecad, has a lot of the parts overlapping by a large amount and yet when it is in the test-bed and adjusted there is no such condition,,

Very interesting!

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2022, 02:15:03 am »
This morning I cleaned up the part and also double checked that in the program there are 10 parts that overlap, parts that should need to run through each other,, a physical barrier to operation.

I spent a little more effort in setting the part and there it is moving very nicely and smoothly and no overlap, no collision of parts

So here I am with a 0.75 : 1 distance ratio at a 1 : 1 turn ratio,, not saying that there is a gain there, I don't care if there is or not, the part is doing something else for the system.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2022, 04:06:06 am »
I printed the parts rather thin, 3mm, and with the height there is a little warping that can happen with the shape that I am using.

With that said however, the "tweak" or adjustment to the profile of the part is very small and only a case of knocking down the corners a little bit.

What this part does for me is turn what would be the normal external work function and inverts it, that is it is now the internal work transfer component allowing me to access what is normally the internal work transfer component as an external function.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2022, 06:24:28 am »
Well things are kind of nifty and yet frustrating at the same time.

I am trying to determine how much printer error and how much design error I am running into.

If I take the part I printed and install it a little "warped" after I clean up the contact areas things run fairly smooth and free,, but I have to force that "warp" into the part which changes one of the angles of interaction,, is that my printer or is that my design???? I think it might be printer mainly, not all of the interactions are maintaining the same distances when they should all be identical.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2022, 05:59:06 am »
I found out why my part worked,, well it was a bunch of errors but I think I have fixed those and am printing off another part that should actually work, it does in the program and I hope in the test-bed

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2022, 06:22:42 pm »
new part hot off the printer and thrown into the test-bed and that part functions just like it is supposed to.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2022, 01:06:54 am »
It seems as tho I got a little over enthusiastic on the number of "teeth" I used on the gear-set, I used as many as I could fit in the space I have, well when I did that I also removed any slop room I might of had.

I need to re-do that and loose a tooth or two.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2023, 08:34:50 am »
my method of working is slow.  I am usually making slightly different parts as I go along,, I start with a normal style of part design and make a test-bed trying to look at what I think I want to see, then I change parts more to what I think it might do and then change them again until I think I get to what I really wanted to try.

With this test-bed I am moving even slower than normal,, it kind of gets annoying how slow I am some times.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2023, 09:37:47 am »
Things are starting to look rather interesting finally.

This Work Transfer Function just might have some merit after all.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2023, 02:15:45 am »
what I have right now is kind of promising.

I have 2 shafts that come into my system, one comes in from one side and the other from the other side.

To limit frictional losses I have used bearings every where I can and have no slipper clutches or friction items as such. I have tried to make the whole system move as easy and smooth as possible.

The shafts rotate at a 1:1 ratio and in the same direction.

If I use one shaft to rotate the system, and therefore the other shaft in the same direction of rotation, the system requires a fair amount of force.  I am using Mr. Hand so the amount of force is unknown.  When I use the other shaft to rotate the system the force required to do so is noticeably less.

I am still working on re-designing my parts to make this difference more noticeable and more controllable.