Total Topics: 23
Most Online Today: 1
Most Online Ever: 5
(February 24, 2018, 10:16:09 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Author Topic: mechanical gain device  (Read 417 times)

webby2

• View Profile
Re: mechanical gain device
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 01:13:53 pm »
Here is just the pic of a 1MW setup,, close enough to 1MW anyway.
All I need to do there is get all the parts to play nicely with each other.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 01:16:19 pm »
IMHO I have supplied enough information for others to do what I have done.

It is not important as to HOW I am controlling this but more about the "what".
This system with and without the control is a resonant oscillator, kind of brings a slightly new meaning to the word, or use of the term, "resonance".

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 06:55:17 am »
This is a downsized unit with only a single pivot.  I increased the rate of rotation as well as brought the arms up to a high rate as well.
I had to idealize the arms to rods so that the sim would not error.

I added 2 springs so that I could either add or subtract energy from the arms and in these 2 pics I am subtracting energy via the springs.
These 2 runs were from the same starting point the difference is in how I have my control system adjusted.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:36 am »
A small note,
This system is directional, that is if I rotate the wheel in one direction I as the operator can extract work, if I rotate it in the other direction I as the operator must supply work.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34:02 pm »
The system as shown is directional,, so here is a small scale low power slow version of both.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:49 am »
I have sim'ed this up for a real world build.
The pivot arms are now 30cm long, the pivot from axle is 30cm and the long arms are 75cm,, I have increased the working mass and made a few enhancements that I know how to make :)
I am rotating the wheel at 360 degrees per second, aka 60RPM and with approx. 265J per second gain I think that can overcome the losses of a motor and a generator.
Since I made changes to the setup I am only showing the power graph and the data file.

Made like this I think I can rotate a lot faster safely.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:26 am »
Due to my lack of skills in building, the increased complexity of the build is too much for me, with that I rolled back to a simplified version that I will build.
I have also included an auxiliary input by use of a constant force in, with this data set I have used 2 constant force springs to facilitate that input.
I need to add the auxiliary input to counter the real world losses the mechanical oscillator component has.

This is for a single system, where the build will have 2 systems and a full proper build would have a total of 6, 3 pairs of two properly phased to reduce the peak input torque of the drive motor and provide a more constant output.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 10:47:12 am »
LIfe,,

I have been busy with my father dying from a brain tumor,, so I have not been overly involved with this project.

I am learning how to use FreeCad so that I can draw my parts and also how to use my 3D printer so I can print them,, I am also using the trial and error method of design to try and make the testbed as simple as possible while maintaining functionality and also have a full set of drawings so that any other person I share them with can print out there own parts,, I am also making it somewhat small so that it would fit easily on a desktop.

It may not be as impressive as it can be but I think it will run itself as well as power a load of some sort at the same time.

webby2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:08 am »
I think I have the final part design for most of the parts and have started printing them.

With the the limitations of my 3D printer it will be a smallish unit and even with that it is going to take a week of printing to make the parts I have designed up.  I set the printer to use 0.1mm thick layers and limited the print speed to 50mm\sec in an attempt to keep the parts accurate enough for the prototype.  I am printing in PLA and I think it will be strong enough to function.

webby1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 09:32:15 pm »
Long story short,,,,

I assembled the parts that I printed for a test-fit to check my design and decided that I needed to use bearings in places that I had not placed any, I at first thought that plastic on metal would be acceptable for the first testbed, but I do not think it would allow for much run-time so I have added bearings.

In doing so some of the clearances I was using were not sufficient so I then needed to redesign the parts, not that big of a deal but one part in particular took me a week to get just right,, I hope.

My printer has failed several times now, first the Y carriage linear bearings and then those smooth rails, then the X rails and bearings,, well I guess I overworked the printer and am now rebuilding the printer with a few changes.  I hope to be up and printing again in a few days.

Good news is that the first test-fit and motions worked just like they were supposed to so I am assuming that the re-designed parts will do the same.

When all is said and done I will have a full set of .stl's for a build and a list of parts used so any one that I share them with could reproduce the unit.